Since the sacrament of baptism is the first step of a life long journey of faith, all parents are encouraged to call the parish office to make the necessary arrangements well in advance. Baptisms are celebrated at regular scheduled intervals. Baptisms are not celebrated during the seasons of Advent and Lent. The Diocese of Greensburg has official qualifications of baptism sponsors, as well as the appropriate number of sponsors required.
Contacting the Parish
Parents must be registered with one of our Four parishes and active in the sacramental life of the parish. Parents are to contact the parish office before making any plans for the Baptism.
Parents attendance at a pre-baptismal meeting is required. These sessions will help the parents understand their role as Catholic parents and discuss the signs and symbols of the rite of baptism. After attending a pre-baptismal session, you may then begin the scheduling process.
To Schedule a Baptism
- All family information must be obtained and up to date.
- Godparents must meet the sponsor requirements and sponsor certificates need to be turned in to the office. Only then will the date and time of baptism be chosen.
To sponsor another person in the Catholic faith assumes that the person is a committed and practicing Catholic and that he/she wishes to journey with their “godchild” throughout life. The church’s requirements for sponsorship of another person are as follows:
- The sponsor should be 16 years of age or older.
- The sponsor must be a fully initiated Catholic. That is, he/she has received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation and Eucharist.
- The sponsor is a practicing Catholic. That is they are registered as an active member in a parish, receive the Eucharist and attend Mass regularly (a sign of membership in the church).
- The sponsor is in good standing with the church. If the sponsor is married, the marriage must be a valid, sacramental marriage.
- All sponsors/godparents will need a sponsor certificate from his/her parish.